Wednesday, July 28, 2010

then to now...Part Deux

Ten days spent at the Royal Victoria Hospital, a health care facility that looks like it belongs in Transylvania more than Quebec. Dark looming towers and old ivy laden stones. Yep, ten days spent in a little room shared by four other expectant moms. My closest roomie to my right I labeled the "walrus" . She had the most disgusting habit of clearing her nose and throat at about ten minute intervals, really nasty. Nastier still if one is forced to listen, as I was, due to the whole bed-rest thing. Thanks to my sister and her awesome mags and food and to Matt who really tried to entertain me in those too -big 32 week along days!

April 26, 2009 while reading a little US Weekly sitting on my bed, a huge gush of water poured down my leg and on to the floor, contractions began, it was go time!

Matt and my sister arrived at break neck speed and I was suddenly in the most pain of my life - searing, burning back pain with no rest in between. I still don't know if all of this was"normal" or not. However, a little while later with a spinal block in place, a curtain before my face, I did not much care.
Henry and Eliot were rushed immediately to the NICU, I saw one then two squirming tiny babies go rushing away and Matt with them. While they spent three weeks in the NICU, we were lucky that the only things they suffered from were smallness. Henry was close to 4 pounds and Eliot was just over 3 and a half. They were tiny, but they were strong!
July 19th, 2009 - Matt and I make our way with a caravan of people helping to monitor our babies, cart our ridiculous amount of stuff and of course, at long last, pass through the border, finally.

One year has passed, Henry and Eliot just turned 15 months, so far so good. My intention now is to write about our day to day, my experiences here in Malden, MA. I am hoping that some will read, share even, but this is mostly for me. A place that works to put words to raising twin boys in the US with my lovely hubby, Matt.

I can't say this will be the most interesting or exciting blog that ever was, I think I am working on just being honest. Here's to the next part.

No comments: