Saturday, January 1, 2011

Just another manic monday - The big Surgery Day

Here it is the first day of the new year, that seemed fast somehow. I am hoping that 2011 has some exciting new plans for our little family. Monday is fast approaching, Eliot will be going in to Boston Children's Hospital and Dr. B will be re-implanting his ureter on the left side. It will be a 3 to 4 hour surgery and hopefully minimal recuperation time. It is less invasive than thought before as they will be going into his bladder from the outside in, not the other way around. After a long, long day at the pre-op. appointment on Thursday Matt and I felt confident about Eliot's procedure. I still feel confident but now that it is so close I am a little worried for our boy. I am sure he will be fine blah, blah, blah. But that is our little boy and it is scary.

I will be staying at the hospital with him and I am really hoping that he will recover well and not feel too much pain. I have been reading about bladder spasms that can occur in these types of surgeries and I am keeping my fingers crossed that he will not be one of the ones that it affects. They are super painful and require different meds. for pain management. I am just hoping that our little boy's left kidney will stop being damaged by his urinary reflux and hold onto the 12% function that he has. Some is better than none in this case I am told. Nana aka Shirlee will be staying at ours to help with Henry and the go-between times. We would be completely and utterly lost without Nana and Papa.

I am wondering if we will go in when he is being put to sleep? I have been there for Henry a number of times and while it can be a little weird watching your child fight the mask and its effects, I feel as though it is better they see you before they go to sleep. I can hack it if he can, right?

Pheeewww, I have been writing my crazy little O.C.D. lists and pre-packing all of our things for the hospital. I have made lists of what to do with Henry while we are away, lists of what we need to pack, lists of lists to write, I have made checklists and more lists...I am beginning to realize that part of my coping mechanism in these strange times is the illusion of control. I micro-manage everything that is within MY power in the hopes that everything else will just follow suit. Yeah, I know, a little crazy. But hey, whatever works.

Matt is the only person I could ever do any of this with, really, all of it, which is a lot of "this", trust me:) I think back to the moment I knew that I was falling for him and I said that if we got together it would be something "serious" and I was right. Marrying your best friend is awesome, maddening at times, but mostly awesome. Knowing that we have each other throughout all of this makes it okay somehow - that and our two super cool boys. They are tenacious as hell, ha:)

*Updated blog - check
* Felt cathartic release - check
* Ummm, you get the idea:)

R

1 comment:

Gigi said...

Amazing how you can maintain your sense of humor through all this. I giggled throught the whole "list for the lists" part because I'm the same way.

Love you!