Monday, August 2, 2010

Summer time and the living's eeeeeee....

We decided, rather I decided, to go to the common today - that's Boston speech for the Boston Common. It really is beautiful, complete with a bazillion tourists decked out in matching tie-dye t-shirts ( I actually saw this particular family marching around and holding hands...it can be a dangerous park in the middle of the day surrounded by swan boats, what?).
My two boys, Henry and Eliot enjoyed themselves with our friend and her lovely daughter. I love the aeclectic mix of suits glued to their phones, daycare kids and their bellowing teachers and the riff- raff, mostly moms like myself toting children around in crunchy strollers with crunchy kids.
After plying my boys with snacks, we rolled along Charles Street and towards the hospital admiring the well put together stores with their even more put together people. I love that moment when I realize I am smack dab in the middle of fancy town wearing pants encrusted with matching handprints, and some unknowable substance dangling from a few strands of my hair; Two words: hot mama! Ugh!
Such is life, the long drop from regular hygiene and nights out on the town. When I think back to my well heeled days of yore I often say, " Who was that fine woman and where was her macaroni necklace?". Ha, ha, ha.

No comments: